Sunday, January 20, 2013

DefCon 20 (My 1st pilgrimmage)

The summer of 2012 was an eventful one for me - several camping trips with my better half the kids and of course the dog. Two new babies in the family tree - congrats to my brother and sister! Add to all of that my 1st visit to the mother of all InfoSec cons - DefCon XX.

I was very excited when the planets aligned and I received work and home management approval to attend. I've been wanting to go for as long as I can remember, so this was a bucket list-worthy item in my book.

DefCon did not disappoint. Met many new people from across the US and around the world: Brazil, Germany, Romania, and more. I even made a new friend from Canada of all places (hi Carlo!) from working on the scavenger hunt with some friends from Grand Rapids.

I went to a handful of talks each day and wandered around taking in all the other happenings - the contests, gaming areas, the DefCon private cellular network van... The standout talks for me were General Keith Alexander, Mark Weatherford from DHS, Wesley McGrew, and Cutaway - the ones related to critical infrastructure protection, vulnerability research on SCADA HMIs & how breakable many current 'smart' meters are.

I hope to return next year if possible and perhaps take in both Black Hat + DefCon.

No comments:

Post a Comment