Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Notacon 9 - Cleveland FTW!

So after visiting fabulous Cleveland last weekend I was inspired to make a blog post after almost a year. Blogging is great but unless someone is making me do it regularly it doesn't happen as much as I'd like. That, and the fact that Twitter is way easier b/c it is short and sweet. I tweet now and then as @nibbelink so if you want to know what I am thinking maybe a handful of times per month send me a request.

Back to Notacon - where to begin? Froggy and friends put on a conference like no other - literally. It is a very cool mix of InfoSec, IT, hackers, geeks and people who are fun to meet/talk to and hang out with. Met a guy who has the same Yamaha QY10 sequencer/synth that I have. That almost NEVER happens. Seriously, who had one of these but me - let alone remembers (not so) fondly doing MIDI step programming to put together a basic drum rhythm and bass line?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_QY10

And then there are the talks at Notacon. I am biased b/c I got to present with my friend EggDropX but still - there were fascinating talks on everything from open source music making via algorithms to how to help your kids be good Internet consumers. You aren't going to get that at most other conferences that I've been to. And if you are like me either work won't pay for BlackHat/DefCon or you cannot afford it out of pocket.

And so, let me close this brief shout out with some advice - you owe it to yourself to checkout Notacon 10 in 2013, and also you need to go to GrrCON. It's what put GR on the InfoSec map. This is year 2 and it will blow your mind and if it doesn't there is free beer. Enough said.
www.notacon.org + www.grrcon.org = doubleplusgood

No comments:

Post a Comment